Παρασκευή 29 Αυγούστου 2014

How to Potty Train Your New Puppy




When my German Shepherd Dog Sasha came to live with me at the tender age of 10 weeks, I wanted us to get off to a good start. I knew, from all of the books I had read, how important it was to begin potty training a new puppy as soon as you bring them into your home. You want to give them very clear and consistent guidance that they can easily understand. So, I was prepared. I had already purchased a wire dog crate with a divider panel, designed especially for the purpose of potty training a puppy.





This type of dog crate is one of the most valuable tools a new puppy own can have, as they allow you to reduce the amount space that your little fur ball has to move around in. This is crucial for the potty training process because the less space a puppy has around them, the less likely they are to relieve themselves in their crate. If you give your puppy a lot of free space, they are liable to go potty in a far corner away from themselves. But, if you make it impossible for them to go potty without soiling themselves, they are far less likely to have an accident in their crate.







So, with Sasha, I had bought a dog crate of the size that would accommodate him when he was full grown, and I simply used the divider panel to keep his available space small while I was potty training him. Whenever I could not watch him, I would put him in his crate. I taught him to enter his crate willingly by offering him a food treat as an incentive. I would toss a piece of chicken or some other delectable into his crate, while simultaneously asking him to go to your crate. It did not take him long to figure out that good things happen when he goes into his crate! Pretty soon he started running into his crate before I even had his treat ready for him.





A puppys bladder is very tiny, and their ability to hold urine is very limited. Sasha needed to relieve himself about every 45 minutes for the first few weeks, which is not much different than a human baby. I would have him out of his crate, playing with him on the living room floor, and all of a sudden he would just stop and look around -- that was my cue -- he had to go! And he had to go NOW!





As soon as I noticed this behavior, I would give him the verbal command OUTSIDE, and whisk him outside to go potty. Whenever I caught him actually starting to go potty inside the house, I would say, NO! OUTSIDE! then interrupt him in the process and get him outside as fast as possible. When he was little, I had to actually pick him up and take him straight outside. If I tried to run him out, he usually did not make it and would pee before we got to the door. Once he finished doing his business, I would praise him verbally, telling him what a good boy he was, and give him a food treat.





Sashas ability to hold his bladder gradually increased, but if I was unable to keep a close eye on him, I always had him in his crate. This not only protected the carpeting in my home, but it also protected him from hurting himself through any mischievous activities. I kept his crate in a central part of the home, so he would not feel alone or left out, and he could see where I was most of the time. Having a wire dog crate with a divider panel to help with this potty training process made all the difference in the world.





At night, I kept him in his dog crate, and whenever he needed to go potty he would definitely let me know. During the first month, I had to get up and take him out about 2-3 times every night. But after that, his bladder got stronger and he usually only needed to go out once each night. I am the kind of person who enjoys having my dog sleep with me, so it wasnt long before Sasha was sharing my bed.





He quickly figured out that the best way to wake me up when he needed to go potty was to lick my face! He never once relieved himself in the bed, so his dog crate did not get used all that much at night after that point. However, it was still an indispensable aid for keeping both Sasha and my home safe during the day when I could not keep and eagle eyes watch upon him.





Author Bio:





Esme La Fleur has always been passionate about animals, especially dogs. In addition to sharing her life with her German Shepherd Dog Sasha, she currently helps run a website where they sell a wide variety of dog crates in many different sizes and styles. Browse their broad selection of wire, wood, and plastic today!


0 σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου

 

how to train your dog © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner